There are three closest and nearest airports to Halong Bay, which are Van Don, Noi Bai, and Cat Bi airport and each one has its pros and cons. For a convenient trip to Halong, Vietnam, read on this guide to the airports near Halong Bay:
I. Van Don International Airport (Quang Ninh)
Van Don International Airport is a military-civil airport located in Doan Ket Commune, Van Don District, Quang Ninh Province, Vietnam. The airport also functions as a new reserve airport for Noi Bai Airport in Hanoi.
Located about 50 km from Ha Long City and about 20 kilometers from Cam Pha City, it mainly serves Van Don Special Zone and Halong with the capacity of 10 million passengers per year when filling up all stages (including 3 stages). It is the airport operated by Sun Group as the investor and also the first private airport in Vietnam.
2. How to get to Halong Bay from Van Don International Airport
From Van Don Airport to Tuan Chau Port – Ha Long (about 70km), there are many transportation vehicles; however, we recommend you use the form of automobile transportation. If you don’t have a private car, you can rent a self-drive car to be more active in your schedule.
If you want to use the bus, the bus routes from Ha Long to Van Don Airport with 2 lines, moving from 80-90 minutes/trip include: Route 14A (along National Highway 18) and Route 14B (in Ha Long – Van Don Expressway)
3. Pros and cons when going to Halong Bay from Van Don Airport
- This is a new airport, so it is the most convenient and comfortable services
- You can have free tickets to Bai Tu Long Bay and Yen Tu Mountain when you take a flight to this airport.
- The price is quite high. (include airplane ticket and services)
- Not many flights in a day because it’s a new airport
II. Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi)
Noi Bai International Airport is a major international airport in Northern Vietnam, belonging to Soc Son district, Hanoi. This distance is 27 km when Nhat Tan Bridge and the road connecting the bridge with the Noi Bai completed in 2015. Noi Bai International Airport is also close to the city Vinh Yen, Bac Ninh.
2. How to get from Noi Bai Airport to Halong Bay
► By Car
From Noi Bai to Halong Bay, it takes about 170 km or 2.5 hours by driving cars. You can use your own car or rent a taxi to save traveling costs. I recommend Mai Linh taxi (green color) as a trust-worthy brand in Vietnam.
► By Motorbike
Like used cars, it takes about 3 hours from Noi Bai to Ha Long. You can use two roads: Noi Bai – Bac Ninh – Halong and Noi Bai – Hai Duong – Halong. You can search for the information on the internet if you do not know more about the routes.
► By Seaplane
This is the fastest and the most expensive way (about $280 / person) to get from Noi Bai to Ha Long. It takes about 45 minutes for a flight and Hai Au Aviation is the only service provider.
3. Pros and cons when going to Halong Bay from Noi Bai Airport
- Noi Bai Airport is one of the busiest ones in Vietnam → you can easily move to your city by airplane.
- You can exchange your own traveling experiences with the arrivers at the airport.
- You can have a chance to go around the capital Hanoi of Vietnam.
- From Ha Long, this is the farthest airport → you must have more traveling costs.
- Because Noi Bai is a busy airport → your flight can be sometimes delayed or canceled.
III. Cat Bi International Airport (Hai Phong)
Cat Bi International Airport, officially known as Cat Bi International Aviation Port, is an airport located in Hai An district (Le Hong Phong Street), about 8 km in the south-east of Haiphong city center.
2. How to get from Cat Bi Airport to Halong Bay
► By Taxi
From Cat Bi Airport, it takes about 110 minutes by a taxi / private car for 85 km in distance. The price is about $40.
► By Bus
From Lac Long bus station, the trip can take 3,5 hours and the price is about 150,000 VND. We don’t recommend this because it takes so much time and you can wait for a long time.
3. Pros and cons when going to Ha Long Bay from Cat Bi Airport
- Cat Bi Airport is a fast destination for discovering other famous attractions.
- This is also well-known for the quality of customer services.
- This is a small airport → that has no more flights for customers.
There are several transportations to Halong Bay, but the fastest is always airplanes. After reading this guide, hope you have all the information to have the best choice among three nearest airports to Halong bay.