Traveling not only means that you wake up in a completely faraway land, but it also means you give yourself the opportunities to live in a new lifestyle way different than your daily life. If you are visiting Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, it is the best choice to go through one of the most extraordinary experiences in your life – tasting local cuisine. You can fill it up to the best with a meal at Blanc Restaurant Saigon.
- Location: Lane 178/180D Hai Ba Trung Street, Da Kao, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Lunch: 11:30am-2:00pm, daily
- Dinner: 5:30pm-9:30pm, daily
Specialty type: International fusion food
Price range: 300,000 – 600,000/person
Phone: 028-6266 3535
1. Highlights of Blanc Restaurant
Blanc Restaurant, one of the very first recommended restaurants in Saigon, might surprise you from the first sight with boards and menus full of pictographs showing you some simple gestures of sign language.
What makes Blanc special lies in their staff, most of whom are hearing-impaired, but absolutely patient, cheerful and clever. To order food or drinks, customers are encouraged to use their hands to communicate with the staff, which might be difficult at first. Misunderstandings are common but don’t worry, the staff can read lips, or as a last resort, pointing to the dishes you want on the menu or writing down your request are utterly useful.
Blanc Restaurant provides a mix of local and international flavors served in Western order which includes starter, main course, and dessert. There are four fancy available sets named after historical places in Ho Chi Minh city including Hai Ba Trung, Tan Dinh, DaKao, and Sai Gon, which are all mouth-watering and ready to wake up your taste buds.
The menu offers a wide range of selections with seafood, meat, vegetables, and soup, and carbonara ice-cream for dessert is highly recommended. Though each portion is not big, it is created with a number of fresh high-quality ingredients and perfectly-combined spices, you will surely feel the dedication of the chefs when looking at each dish as a work of art and grabbing a bite.
If you have allergies, dietary restrictions or prefer vegetarian food, just inform them in advance and your required amazing portions are served.
Opting for Blanc. Restaurant, you will not only fill your stomach with lavish and delicious lunch or dinner but also learn some Vietnamese sign language and provide a meaningful livelihood for less lucky but optimistic caring people.
2. Architecture & Decoration
Located in an old building back from the French colonial period, Blanc brings out a wave of nostalgia amidst an eclectic collection of antiques and artwork. The restaurant is decorated in a style of exquisiteness and coziness absolutely touching your heart and bringing you one step closer to the life and work of the most charming hearing-impaired employees. As a result, you will find yourself peaceful and joyful looking at creative funny pictures on the wall, ancient furniture, a magnificent setting, and a useful booklet of sign language on each table.
Despite being nestled at a quiet corner in the heart of Ho Chi Minh city, this restaurant offers a gastronomical and sensory experience for both foreign tourists and curious locals.
Things to Note
- Enjoying your meals in such a place doesn’t mean that you have to be totally quiet. It is acceptable to talk, laugh and share your moments with each other and with the staff, but in a lower voice.
- The manager of Blanc. Restaurant and some employees are not disabled, they are more than happy to help you out in case of any unexpected issues, and listen to your reviews, thoughts and sharing about your experience there.
- On special occasions such as Vietnamese Women’s day, Valentine’s day or Mid-Autumn Festival, Blanc will offer special theme-oriented combos and discounts. It will be the best venue for your date or celebration parties in Sai Gon.
- Inspired by the energy and passion of disabled people, the founders of Blanc. The restaurant also successfully opened a restaurant called Noir. Dining in the Dark with the employment of blind and visually-impaired staff, which is right next to Blanc. Their goal is to create jobs, independent lives and equal opportunities for deaf and blind communities to be in the society. Therefore, if you feel curious about spending your lunchtime or dinner time in the mysterious darkness, why not give it a try?
>> Check out: Top 7 Best Fine Dining Restaurants in Vietnam
Are you ready for a once-of-a-lifetime hands-on-dining experience? The staff at Blanc are always looking forward to welcoming you, the guests who are seeking somewhere entirely distinctive, meaningful and gastronomy-offering. If you have been here, why not share your impression of this wonderful place with us?