Discover Legendary Coconut Land of Ben Tre in Mekong Delta
About the Tour
A Mekong day tour to discover the legendary land of Ben Tre is one of the must-try experiences for those who travel to the Southern Vietnam. Joining the tour, you will get precious opportunity to discover the beautiful waterway landscape of Mekong River along with the local daily life. Furthermore, the day tour also offers you a fascinating visit to the handicraft workshop to witness how local products are traditionally made. Don’t miss chance to self-make the Hu Tieu noodles as well as to listen to the story of a former veteran who survived the war fighting against Khmer Rouge. It will surely be worthwhile experience!
- Discovering Mekong Delta by four typical local vehicles including: Xe Loi (motorbike pulling cart), sampan, hand rowing boat and bicycle
- Witnessing how locals make coconut products, bricks and Hu Tieu noodles and learning how to self-make Hu Tieu noodles
- Observing the locals’ life as well as talking to them to understand more about their daily lifeTasting the local foods of Mekong fish, coconut candies and others made from coconut and fresh fruits
- Listening to the story about the war fighting against the Khmer Rouge, told by a former Vietcong soldier who luckily survived the war
Our tour guide will pick you up at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City at around 8:00 and we will then depart for Ben Tre Province (about 90 km far from the City).
Arriving in Ben Tre, your first experience is taking Xe Loi (motorbike pulling cart) – one kind of tractor as well as locals’ daily vehicle – to travel through the green fields and gardens in the village. This means of transport will lead you even past the small village road to watch the local people’s daily life, which is usually attached with rice paddies and lush green orchards.
At the end of the road, when you cannot continue exploring the Mekong region by Xe Loi, you will board the sampan to begin a tour exploring the Mekong River. Your sampan will cruise among the large networks of meandering rivers and criss-crossed canals so that you can observe the local fishermen’s life and contemplate the beautiful waterway landscape of Mekong delta. A welcome drink fresh coconut juice and tropical fruits will be served while the boat is cruising.
Upon embarkation on your sampan, you will take the visit to the traditional handicraft workshops of making coconut, brick and Hu Tieu noddles. There, you will chat and talk to local people as well as learn more about the life of people living in the Mekong Delta Region.
Additionally, the Mekong tour also offers you great opportunity to experience travelling on hand rowing boat and cycling around the small village roads on the Mekong islets. The two local vehicles will help you to worm easily through the interlaced network of rivers and canals to reach the smallest but prettiest corners in the region.
After lunch served with local food at a river side restaurant, our tour guide will take you to visit a local family’s traditional house which is a typically wooden style house and made of coconut. The wife will teach you how to make a traditional local daily food of Hu Tieu noddles, while her husband, a former Vietcong soldier who luckily survived the war fighting against the Khmer Rouge (Pon Pot), will tell you some stories about this war.
Saying goodbye to the local hospitable family, you will transfer to the pier nearby where your boat is waiting for you to bring you back to Ben Tre City.
Return to Ho Chi Minh City by car. Finish the Mekong day tour at around 18:00.
- Hotel pick up & drop off in HCM city center (Dist 1, 3, 5, 7, 8)
- English speaking guide
- Xe Loi, boat, hand rowing boat
- Attractions Entrance Fee
- Fresh fruit, Waters and Snacks
- Personal expenses
- Other services not mentioned in the itinerary
- Total length of boat trip: 2 hours
- Total length of cycling: 30 minutes
- Road surface: Rural/Trail
- Difficulty: Normal/Easy