Nha Trang has long been a famous tourist destination for both domestic and international visitors, especially in the summer. Let’s find out what festivals in Nha Trang has to offer to understand more about Vietnamese festival culture and find a suitable date for your trip to Nha Trang.
1. Ponagar Tower Festival
- Time: March 21st-23rd of the lunar calendar
- Location: Ponagar Tower, Nha Trang
- Meaning behind: This festival is held to commemorate the goddess Yang Po Inư Nưgar – the deity created by clouds and sponges, the creator of Earth, producing precious wood, trees, rice and many blessings for the people.
- Main activities: The festival consists of many solemn rituals, showing the devotion of the local people. A few main rituals are: The ceremony of changing robes, the ceremony of releasing flowers, the ceremony of praying for Thai people; the Khai Dien ceremony and the Sun King ceremony; the Shadow dancing and singing
2. Salanganes Nest Festival
- Time: May 10th of the lunar calendar
- Location: Hon Noi island
- Meaning behind: This festival is held not only to pay tribute to and commemorate the merits of the ancestors, who opened the bird’s nest exploitation and processing industry, but also to honor, preserve and develop the swiftlet-making profession
- Main activities: The festival consists of 2 parts: rituals and festival. The rituals part is lead by the owner of the ceremony, who knows every detail of the Salanganes Nest profession and is respected by everyone. After the rituals come the festival part, which includes many traditional cultural and artistic activities such as singing, dancing, boating, booth introduction programs, trying typical oat products….
3. Nha Trang Fishermen’s Festival
- Time: February 11-13 of the lunar calendar
- Location: Nha Trang
- Meaning behind: For the people of Nha Trang, whale is considered as the reincarnation of the sea god because it often helps ships and fishermen in storms of the sea. Nha Trang Fisherman’s Festival is a festival meant to pray for peace and protect whales.
- Main activities:
Nghinh Ong ritual: this is a very important ritual in the whole festival. The fittest men will be selected to carry the Ong Nam Hai palanquin to the dragon ship to go to the sea.
The ordination ceremony: The ordination group is divided into two groups, one from the North, the other from the South, and both groups headed to the Lang Ong area. Leading each group is the lion dance, monks and dragons. Following the lion dance is a model of the boat surfing on the sea. Finally, there are people wearing ancient clothes, holding flags and weapon at the end of the parade.
4. Am Chua Festival
- Time: March 1st – 3rd of the lunar calendar
- Location: Am Chua, Dai An mountain, Dien Dien commune, Dien Khanh district, Khanh Hoa
- Meaning behind: Am Chua festival is a spiritual cultural event, a place for Khanh Hoa people to express their respect and gratitude to the Holy Mother Thien Y Ana – who taught local people to plant mulberry and nurture silkworm for weaving techniques, which is the main source of living for them.
- Main activities: After the solemn worshiping ceremony, there are many other fun activities like unicorns parade, folk games such as playing the hut, swinging, …, bearing the traditional cultural identity of the ethnic minorities.
5. Nha Trang Sea Festival
- Time: 4 – 5 days
- Location: Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa
- Meaning behind: Held every 2 years, this festival is an extremely unique cultural – tourist event to promote, honor, preserve the spiritual values and cultural identity of the people of Khanh Hoa in particular, and Vietnamese people in general.
- Main activities: Activities bolding traditional cultural values are organized in this festival, including the Fishermen Festival, the Salanganes Nest Festival, folk games, art exhibition, children’s painting competition, street art performances, swimming tournament, beach volleyball tournament, beach soccer tournament… Especially, there will be an impressive welcome fireworks display in the opening ceremony.
6. Yacht festival
- Time: July 11-15
- Location: Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa
- Meaning behind: Nha Trang has long been considered as one of the most beautiful bays in Vietnam. This is a potential destination for international yachts to gather and exchange, which helps promoting tourist service in Nha Trang
- Main activities: Every year, this festival brings together dozens of yacht clubs from 22 countries around the world such as Singapore , China, Germany, Italy, France, Turkey, Brunei, Dubai, Canada, USA, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, … The festival takes place with many attractive cultural and tourist activities at commercial centers, big streets, famous tourist destinations of Nha Trang such as: “Legend of the Sea” photo composition competition, racing sailing yacht, five-continent culinary festival, street art performance, …
7. Vinpearl Land Nha Trang Carnival
- Time: 16h – 16h30 every Friday and Saturday.
- Location: Vinpearl Land Nha Trang
- Meaning behind: Carnival is a festival originating from Rome, Greece, and it is fascinated by the excitement, the brilliance and the extremely jubilant and bustling atmosphere. In Vietnam, Carnival is adopted and adjusted to fit with our culture and especially for children to participate.
- Main activities: In this festival, there would be performances from children’ favorite characters like stilts, dwarfs, princesses, poker … with elaborate and gorgeous attire. There are plays, parades or music concerts specially made for young kids.
These are the top 7 famous festivals in Nha Trang, Vietnam. Each festival has a unique value and meaning behind, but they all contribute to the preservation and promotion of Vietnam. All of the festivals in Nha Trang are suitable for both kids and adults, so you don’t have to worry when taking your children here for a vacation. It certainly would be a memorable trip with these festivals included in your schedule!