About the Tour
The discovery tour from Hanoi to the Northwest of Vietnam allows you chance to explore the most beautiful mountainous scenery and colourful hill tribes in Vietnam. Leave the graceful streets of Hanoi behind to travel through bumpy but stunning mountain roads to Mai Chau, Son La, Dien Bien Phu, Lai Chau, and Sapa, experience breathtaking mountain views, meet friendly locals, take part in performance of folk songs and dance, or join a soft hiking to ethnic villages for a deeper understanding of the local culture that all ensure you unforgettable moments.
- Learning about the culture of Thai/ Muong ethnic group in Mai Chau
- Participating in exciting farming programs and enjoying the fresh air in Moc Chau Plateau
- Tasting the typical specialties of the (White) Thai ethnic group in Son La
- Conquering two of four Vietnam’s most challenging passes and admiring spectacular scenery
- Discovering the mystery of a wild Lai Chau and Sapa town with the famous hiking routes
- Soaking yourself in the bustling fair in the highland
Continue this day trip by spending the whole afternoon strolling or cycling around one of their picturesque villages, taking photos of local naive children or talking to the villagers working on their terraced fields.
In the evening, we will enjoy a sumptuous dinner with the locals and don’t miss the chance to sample the local rice wine with a long bamboo straw.
Overnight in a traditional stilt-house of a Thai family.
Reaching Son La in the late afternoon, we will visit Son La Prison which was built in the French colonial period. Enjoy your dinner in a traditional stilt house of a Thai family whilst watching the traditional local dancing.
Overnight in a hotel in Son La.
The path from Son La to Dien Bien with typical stunning sceneries of Northwest Vietnam will surely leave you unforgettable experiences. On the way, you will pass the expansive terraced fields of corn, bean or banana along with colorful souvenir booths of the locals along the road sides. Continuing our way through the impressive Pha Din Pass at the height of 1,500m, admiring a fantastic panorama of the charming valley encompassed by the cloud all year round, and passing roads of colorful wild flowers, we finally reach Dien Bien – the land of rich history. Lunch is served en route to Dien Bien.
Upon arrival in Dien Bien, we will spend the rest of the day visiting the Muong Thanh paddy field, historic sites of De Catries bunker, A1 Hill, explosive holes, etc. to understand more about the magnanimous battle of the Vietnamese people.
Check-in hotel and enjoy dinner with specialties of Dien Bien and then be free for relaxing and discovering the surroundings.
Arrive in Phong Tho (PaSo) Town in late afternoon, you will have dinner and overnight in the hotel.
In the afternoon, we will visit an amazing cave about 6 km from Lai Chau Town. This is the largest cave system containing many great geological values with its original beauty which hasn’t been touched by many people, thus being a new ideal destination for those who love adventures and discovery.
Check-in hotel in Sapa, you then have free time for discovering the charming town with bustling market and walk around the ancient city with French architecture corners.
Let’s enjoy a warm dinner with the locals, talk to them to learn about their daily life as well as traditional customs and you are ensured to collect many interesting memories.
Overnight at a hotel in Sapa.
At around 10:00AM, the car and our tour guide will meet you again and head to Vu Linh (Yen Bai province). A four-hour drive with scheduled stop for lunch will lead you along the Red River, passing through Yen Bai city to reach Ngoi Tu Village, home of Dzao and Tay ethnic minority groups for many years. You will be welcomed by the friendly and hospitable host, who are well-trained under the Tourism Support Program from International Community.
After a short break, we will get on small boats to discover Thac Ba Lake, the second largest man-made Reservoir in Vietnam. The trip offers chance for you to experience the way villagers paddle their boats by legs; eye-witness the exotic and odd animals living nearby; enjoy the quiet and peaceful scenery around the immense lake; as well as to learn more about the lifestyle of Dzao people – who live on thousands of islets. In the late afternoon, you wil return to the dock and then transfer back to the ecolodge for dinner in the warm atmosphere. Stay overnight in the eco-lodge at a lake view alcove.
You will have lunch at locals’ stilt house; afterward, we will pick you up and transfer to Hanoi. The trip is expected to end 18:00 in your hotel in Hanoi.
- Visa approval letter
- Transportation as itinerary mentioned by private A/C vehicles
- Most of meals as mentioned (Meals in Sapa shall be easily arranged up on request)
- Homestay or hotel (twin-sharing) as mentioned. Single supplement up on request.
- Farming activities attendance (in Moc Chau farm)
- Entrance fees, except for the leisure time in Sapa
- Frontier area permission
- Everyday wet tissue and fresh water
- Visa stamp fee and extension permission;
- Private music show on request
- Private expenses (beverages, drinks, laundry...)
- Other meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Other services not mentioned in the itinerary
- This tour includes private car transfers, you will spend night(s) at the clean and comfortable stilt house of the locals who are trained according to the program of the international community.
- Tour program is subject to change due to weather and operating conditions.